Thursday, January 5, 2023

Me Pops Attitude Shines Through

Just to establish it clearly, the customer I am about to lament had an appointment with me at the Shop on Friday, December 16 at 10 AM. He was coming in (supposedly) for 15 cables, which I had at the time in reserve for him. He didn't show, nor call and tell me he wouldn't make it, nor respond to my calls over whether he still wanted the cables. That's the necessary background.

As luck would have it, we had a great run of business between Christmas and New Year's. I sold all of my cables. My cables.

The man in question called around two yesterday afternoon. "I'm on my way to get those cables, Cosgriff."

"I sold out. I won't have more until next week," I explained without the least hint of regret.

"You sold my cables?" he demanded incredulously.

"No!" I responded emphatically. "I sold my cables."

"All right, all right," he vaguely conceded. "Could you call me please when you have more?" I told him I would. 

The thing is, I heard me Pops tell several folks that over the years: I sold MY cables. They're mine until they're paid for. Then, and only then, are they yours.

No comments: