Saturday, June 26, 2021

A relative rant

You may as well put this rant onto the pile of I shouldn't even begin to write it. But ah hell, I'm going to write it anyway.

I believe I've reached the point in my life where I'm pretty good about not letting things bother me, and I'm kind of proud of that. You should not let things you cannot control ruin your day or, worse, your life. It's no good for your mental health or your relationships with the folks around you. Yet one thing which cuts me to the quick, which makes me instantly enraged and outraged, is when in the course of a conversation someone says something like, it's all relative.

That absolutely, immediately infuriates me. We're trying to have a decent conversation about something important, then some nit ever so casually, ever so blithely, lets roll off the lips 'morality is relative'. They try to make sophomoric simplicity out of great truths and then attempt to pass themselves off as proud proponents of profound philosophy. 

You like that alliteration? I do too, because I'm trying to mock them and their whole point. Mockery is all it deserves. How can anyone actually believe that such phrases, mantras which undercut all truth including their own (if all is subjective how can you know if even that's true?) could possibly have merit? They don't add to the discussion, they end it. If nothing's true on its own merit there's nothing to talk about.

The next time someone says that to me I think I'll respond, with a paternal pat on their head, "Honey, go sit at the kid's table and let the adults have a serious conversation." I hope you can read the sarcasm I'm attempting to drip from that.

So fine, there's no right and wrong. Everything's relative. Believe that if you like. But you better not be upset with me when I lift your wallet. 

Rant. Over. Until tomorrow.


No comments: