Saturday, June 26, 2021

It is the destination

There are folks out there who regularly say, it's the journey, not the destination, or some such as that. But, uh, it is the destination, actually.

Oh, you might have fun along the way, sure. You may meet some interesting people or see fascinating things. Memories could indeed be made. Yet when I'm heading up north into Michigan's glorious Upper Peninsula, I mean to get up north. Everything along the way is a sidebar. 

Upon coming to exit number 222 on northbound I-75 I pass Roscommon. Yet I do not revel in the fact that I am at Roscommon. There is nothing like wonder at the realization that I'm there. It's merely on the way, a small part of the journey. 

Nothing personal, Roscommon. I've visited you and you're quite nice. But you're not where I'm going, not where I want to be. You're not my destination.

So fine, enjoy the trip. Enjoy the journey so much as might be useful. But it is the destination and not the journey which really counts. Otherwise, there's no point making the trip.

No comments: