Sunday, June 27, 2021

Relative rant redux

To continue what I should not have started yesterday, I would love the opportunity to press my good and dear friends on their belief in morality being relative. Let's imagine someone, I'll call him Cloyce just to give him a name, who truly believes there is no right and wrong and actually puts it to work in his life.

Someone steals Cloyce's car and the police nab the perp. Yet Cloyce won't press charges. "Well, officers, I appreciate what might be your good work, because I can't actually know if it's good work, but morality is relative and his morality says thievery is all right, so I can't condemn his action by sending him to jail."

Cloyce's boss fires him unfairly after twenty years to hire someone cheaper, yet it doesn't bother him. "So loyalty isn't a value of his. What can you do?" he asks nonchalantly.

An arsonist burns down his house, but all Cloyce can say is, "He takes such delight in fire!"

Do you see where I'm going with this? Huh? Huh? Can you see? If nothing's right or wrong you can't condemn any action of anybody. You don't even have the right to hold it against them or seek retribution. Still, I bet that relativist who gets his house burned to cinders will yet try to argue that someone somehow wronged him. Yet in truth they could not have been wronged, if all is indeed relative.

Second. Rant. Over. 

Maybe.

No comments: