Thursday, June 17, 2021

Buzzed

I'm wondering if perhaps the word has gotten out. Do the birds, and by that I mean birds in general, think I'm a threat?

A few weeks ago I wrote about the sparrow which kept flitting along a fence ahead of me as though I were invading its personal space. Maybe I was, but it was wholly unintentional I assure you.

Yet does that idea register with our avian friends? This morning as I hiked along the service drive of the John C. Lodge Freeway I could not help but hear the chattering of the birds above me in the trees. They were pretty obviously incensed and concerned but I didn't think a lot of it initially.

Then this one little blackbird swooped down from behind and buzzed right past my ear. It was close enough that I heard all too clearly and cleanly the buzz as it zoomed by. The little truant then soared back around to perch in the tree from which it came to stare down hard at me.

I assume it was protecting a nest. Perhaps I only startled it. It may have even been completely inadvertent. But I fear that the birds may be keeping a sharp eye on me.

They can go ahead and join the paranoids to spy on me as a group then.

No comments: