Friday, June 25, 2021

Cars on vibrate

There are a lot of cool new things about cars and vans these days. I think me Pops would get a kick out of the backup cameras which are commonplace now. Hell, me Grandpa Joe might even like that too. But I'll tell you one thing that he would not like at all, and that's the vibration in the steering wheel when you're drifting out of your lane.

Joe was a drifter. I found that out first hand when, as a teenager before I got my license, Joe would drive us to job sites. He swerved from side to side on a road like he was an errant wave in the ocean. It could be, um, ah, disconcerting.

The vans I've rented lately have that feature: the little rumble in the steering wheel to let you know you're not right smack in your lane. Maybe that's good: I did drift once or twice last Wednesday in my rental. The first time I didn't actually realize what was up. I just felt the vibration and thought, what the hell? Then I saw on the dashboard the little symbol of a van rabidly out of lane, as hyperbolically sideways as the Ever Given when it blocked the Suez recently, and remembered what it meant.

Joe would have to figure some way to tear the mechanism which causes the warning out of the car. 



No comments: